Wallington 1 - 4 Alnwick Town

August 1, 2015
Wallington 1 - 4 Alnwick Town

Alnwick Town collected their first win of pre-season away to Northern Alliance Premier Division side Wallington.

Wallington, who fielded 2 former Alnwick Town players (Robert Hodgson in goal, and Dan Thompson upfront) from the start, found themselves a goal down in the 7th minute. Ross Straughan picked the ball up on the right, playing a cross-field ball to Rob Baker, who headed across the penalty area for Brad McClelland to tap home for his 5th goal of pre-season.

The first 20 minutes were providing plenty of chances for the away side, who were testing their former keeper Hodgson often, and he was struggling to cope with the high ball and gusty conditions at times.

Rob Baker came close twice, first in the 11th minute, heading just over from a Tony Brown cross. Then in the 16th minute, his corner was heading straight into the far corner only to be headed off the line.

McClelland and Jackson were causing the defence of Wallington problems with their movement off the ball, and McClelland almost got his 2nd but fizzed an effort just over the bar.

The pace of the game eased off slightly, but came to life again a few minutes before the end of the half.

Tony Brown almost doubled Alnwick's lead in the 37th minute, capitalising on a defensive mistake, only to see his long range chip go over the bar.

The lead was doubled though in the 40th minute. Alnwick's pressure on the Wallington defence and goalkeeper paid off, as Ross Gair chased a backpass, dispossesed keeper Hodgson and rolled the ball into an empty net.

A minute before the 45 minutes was up, it was 3-0, as Danny Lowes finished off a neat move involving Tony Brown and Brad McClelland.

The goals weren't finished there though, as pressure from corners finally took their toll. Rob Baker and Tony Brown had been causing problems from corners for the entire first half, and it was Rob Baker who appeared to find the back of the net straight from the set-piece, despite efforts on the line to keep it out.

At 4-0, it looked like a very good half for Alnwick, but Wallington kept pressing until the whistle blew for the half. Some sloppy defending allowed the home side to eventually smash home a consolation to leave the score 1-4 at half time.

The 2nd half appeared to be more of a training exercise for both sides, with fewer chances and more substitutions. For the beginning of the 2nd half, Riddell, Hogg and Macpherson came on for McClelland, Briggs and Egen.

Riddell had 2 good chances, but chipped wide on both occasions when through one-on-one with the keeper. McClelland also had a late effort but blazed over much to his frustration.

Overall a good run out for Alnwick, who have 1 more friendlt left before the season starts next Saturday away to Darlington Railway Athletic.

Team: Brown N, Egen K, Straughan R, Dundas L, Lowes D, Baker R, Gair R, Briggs J, Brown T, Jackson J, McClelland B.
Subs: Hogg K, Riddell D, Macpherson T, Donohoe C, Glass C