No Cup Upset As Chester-le-Street Come Out On Top

November 26, 2015

Alnwick slid to their second defeat at Chester-Le-Street in 4 days as the Cestrians ran out 6-1 winner in the Ernest Armstrong Cup, writes Media Officer, Mark Craggs.

Chester-Le-Street 6- Soulsby 19’; Stephenson 24’; Mole 32’; Dixon 53’; Johnson 75’, 90’
Alnwick Town 1- Brown 79’

Alnwick had the first real opportunity, when Brad McClelland closed down Joe Clayton in the Chester goal. Clayton scuffed his kick but managed to get to the ball before McClelland could. Chester had their first shot a couple of minutes later, Alnwick gave the ball away out wide. The ball was laid back and the resulting shot hit the outside of the post and went out for a goal kick. Chester started to take charge; they nearly got in again a minute after hitting the post, but gaffer Adam Laidlaw managed to clear with a dominating header.

A great move put the opposition even closer than before. Lee Mole played through a clever outside of the foot pass, sending through Scott Heslop. His shot clattered off the crossbar and went over the top. A quick mention is needed for a great Bergkamp flick by skipper Tony Brown who put the defender on his backside, his pass was unfortunately off target just getting away from McClelland.

Chester did eventually find a break through; a short corner was duly crossed in and turned past Luc Glasper by Andrew Grant-Soulsby to make it 1-0 with 20 minutes on the clock. No sooner than they had one they had two as Chris Stephenson lobbed the just beaten Glasper to go 2-0 up. A third was added around five minutes later, a mix up at the back left Glasper in no man’s land. Lee Mole pounced and rolled the ball into an empty net.

A fourth was nearly added, but two good blocks by Tom MacPherson kept the Cestrians out. Mole beat MacPherson for pace in the next attack. Mole shot from just inside the penalty area but Glasper was there to deny him fantastically.

Just before half time, McClelland out muscled the defender and was left one on one with keeper Joe Clayton and he decided to shoot early but the shot was saved. It was 3-0 to Chester at half-time.

Chester made a quick start with a good attack stopped by a good sliding challenge by Laidlaw. Glasper gets another mention for a great camera save from a Heslop shot, diving high to his right. The rest bite was very brief however, as the ball was headed down to Kevin Dixon, who’s volley was of top quality as it flashed into the top corner leaving the keeper with no chance, 4-0 to Chester.

Substitute Ben Johnson got Chester-Le-Street a fifth as he finished hard and low into the near bottom corner.

Alnwick pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to play to make it 5-1, a long range free kick from Tony Brown sailed in, and only he will know whether it was meant. And for the final time Glasper gets a mention as he turned a flicked header over the bar with a great high diving save to the top left corner.

Johnson got his second after coming off the bench, a nice curling shot from the edge nestled into the bottom left corner to round the game off and make it 6-1 in the 90th minute.

6-1 was the final score but the lads now have two weeks to regroup before a massive game at Esh Winning.

Chester-Le-Street- Clayton, Hamblin, Peck, Stephenson, Soulby (D. Hepplewhite 65’), Dixon, M. Hepplewhite, Honour (Johnson 60’), Mole, Heslop, Reynolds (Mickle 60’)

Alnwick- Glasper, Straughan, Lowes, K.Willis, MacPherson, Laidlaw, J. Willis (Moore 78’), Nisbet, McClelland, T. Brown, Jackson (Hogg 71’)