Alnwick Fall To Defeat In Second Half Collapse

December 30, 2015

Alnwick slipped to a disappointing 4-0 defeat at the hands of Heaton Stannington with all four coming in the second half of a game heavily affected by the strong wind of Storm Frank writes Media Officer Mark Craggs.

Alnwick Town 0-4 Heaton Stannington
Johnson 57’, Hayton 60’, Scott 74’, Stoddard 79’

The first half was largely uneventful with each side having a shot a piece. Heaton Stan had the first opportunity as Gary Yates hit the side netting from a tight angle 10 minutes in. Tony Brown almost struck for Alnwick as he cut in from the right hand side, striking the crossbar with a powerful left foot drive. The only other attempt that went close, Jonathyn Quinn had a shot from the edge saved comfortably by Matthew Smith in the Stan goal.


Heaton Stannington had the majority of the second half, capitalising on the strong wind towards the Alnwick goal that Town failed to use to their advantage. Lee Johnson went close with a venomous dipping volley that just cleared the bar. Johnson did open the scoring three minutes later, his outside of the foot shot from around 20 yards out found the bottom corner to get Heaton’s first league goal since mid November.


It went down hill for Alnwick from then as Matthew Hayton’s cross from the left flank was caught by the wind flying into the top corner to double the Heaton Stannington lead on the hour mark. Alnwick had a chance to get one back as substitute Darren Riddell played a good ball into behind the Heaton defence finding Danny Lowes at the far post. Lowes got a good contact on the ball sliding in but Smith made a good save to deny the right back.


Heaton sub Brian Dodsworth when close from a free kick forcing Luc Glasper to make a very good save. The respite was short lived however as Peter Scott hammered home a volley off the underside of the crossbar to make the lead a three goal cushion with 15 minutes to play. The score was added to with 10 minutes to play, Alistair Stoddart finished hard and low at the near post to make it 4-0 to the visitors. It finished that way with Alnwick sliding to a fourth defeat in Adam Laidlaw’s reign of four tough games.


Alnwick- Glasper, Lowes D, Hogg K, Butler, MacPherson (D. Brown 73’), Straughan, Robson, Willis J (Gair 63’), Quinn, T. Brown, Jackson (Riddell 63’)

Subs Not Used- Brooks C


Heaton Stannington- Smith, Wear, Stoddart, Ray, Scott, Imran, Watson, Johnson, Yates (Ward 76’), Hayton, Burns (Dodsworth 63’)
Subs Not Used- Bailey

Match Sponsor:  The Market Tavern - Steakhouse and Lodge