Same Old Story as Easington Net 5

January 31, 2016
Same Old Story as Easington Net 5

It was another day to forget for Alnwick as they conceded five once again at home to Easington. The team that saw six changes from last week did get one on the scoresheet but the result was ultimately the same.

Alnwick Town 1-5 Easington Colliery
Riddell 46’-Goode 12’, 54’; Kerridge 20’; Devlin 44’; O’Neil 90+1’

By Mark Craggs at St. James’ Park

The deadlock was broken 12 minutes in. Aiden Goode’s deflected free-kick found the top corner to the keeper's left. A second was added in the 20th minute, with sloppy defending to blame. Keeper Callum Brooks rushed out to clear with Ross Straughan allow going to do the same job. The two collided leaving the Easington striker Joe Kerridge with an easy finish into an empty net.

Alnwick were lucky to escape a three goal deficit with half an hour on the clock. Brooks made a great save to his left on the line at point blank range after a Colliery corner. It was a case of when your luck's out at the other end. Darren Riddell’s cross to the far post caught the wind and got the keeper Kyle Donaldson scrambling. The keeper did get a touch, parrying the ball off David Brown, before it came back off the keeper and went wide.

Alnwick almost took the 2-0 score line into the break but Jack Devlin added a 3rd one minute before the halftime whistle, heading a cross back across goal, catching Brooks going the wrong way. Brooks last ditch dive was in vain at the ball found the bottom corner.

Just a minute into the second half hope was restored. Brown crossed to Riddell who was cutting in from the left. After bringing the ball down, Riddell found the top corner with a curling shot into the far post. 3-1 with 46 on the clock. Esington looked to hit back, Luke Page went through on goal. Page threw himself to the ground after jumping over Brooks, he asked for a penalty but only got a yellow card.

The three goal cushion was restored in the 54th minute. Gillatt was brought down in the box by a clumsy challenge from substitute Lewis Robson. Goode slotted the penalty home sending Brooks the wrong way to make the scoreline a more comfortable 4-1 to the away side. Kerridge almost added a fifth as he hit a ferocious driven shot across goal forcing a great reaction save from Brooks who managed to tip the ball over the top.

With three minutes to go Brooks saved Alnwick blushes once again, making an excellent recovery save, after originally being out of position he got back across his line to block the shot from Kerridge away. There was yet to be one more goal however, O’Neil’s corner flew over the heads of the keeper defenders and opposition attackers to loop straight into the top corner with a little help from storm Gertrude on its way. The goal coming in the 91st minute to confirm the big away win with 5-1 the scoreline.

Definitely a better second half showing in another frustrating game. The next game is massive as Alnwick travel for a 6 pointer against Crook Town, the first against similar opposition in Laidlaw’s reign.

Alnwick- Brooks, Lowes D, MacPherson ©, Laidlaw (Quinn 45’), Straughan, Dundas, Dixon (Robson 45’), Gair (T. Brown 76’), J. Willis, Riddell, D. Brown
Subs not used- Moore, Briggs

Photo by Steve Miller.
(A good day for our sponsor Kitson Windows if nothing else, as Easington forgot their own shirts)