Alnwick Sign Off Home Fixtures With Emphatic Win

April 23, 2016
Alnwick Town signed off their last home game of the season with a 6-4 victory over Darlington RA, only there 2nd ever win against the club in the Northern League.

Alnwick Town 6-4 Darlington Railway Athletic

On what was a cracking night for football, Alnwick were forced to make a couple of changes due to injuries. Dale Kennedy and Darren Riddell both failing late fitness tests, but they should be fine for the weekend tie away to Ryton & Crawcrook Albion.

The home side were never behind, and got their first goal in the 10th minute. A corner was tucked away at the far post by striker Jordan Miller, who was to have an eventful night.

He got his 2nd of the game just 5 minutes later. A Kieran Hogg cross was headed goal wards by Miller, and despite the efforts of the Darlington defender on the line, he could only header the ball into the roof of the net.

Alnwick were dominating, and almost made it 3 when Lewis Robson met the ball on the volley, but Gustard made a fine save.

Robson almost got on the scoresheet in the 21st minute. Dominic Schiavetta was brought down right on the edge of the box, but the freekick went inches over.

Darlington rarely threatened the home goal in the opening stages, and when Alnwick made it 3-0 it was no surprise. Schiavetta turned his man 20 yards out, moved the ball into space and put his shot right into the bottom corner.

With half time looming, and Alnwick looking very comfortable, the away side got back into the game right on half time. Danny Lowes appeared to be pulled back by forward Jim Wilson, but with nothing given he carried on his run to slot the ball past Glasper. 3-1 at half time.

2nd half Alnwick regained the 3 goal advantage in the 53rd minute. Jordan Miller getting his hat-trick from a tap in. It was almost 4 straight after, but Schiavetta’s effort went into the side netting.

What followed was sustained pressure from the away side as Alnwick seemed to look concentration and shape with their lead. Hogg pulled back an attacker in the box, and Moncur scored from the penalty spot, with Glasper almost keeping it out.

The yo-yo tie just kept on going though, with Miller getting his 4th of the game almost immediately after tapping home from the far post. 5-2 and end to end.

Moncur got his 2nd of the game for Darlington to make it 5-3 in the 64th minute, flicking in at the near post.

3 substitutions were made in a couple of minutes after the goal to try and freshen some legs, with Hogg, Robson and Miller making way for Colley, Dixon and Jackson. Sub Jamie Dixon almost had an immediate impact, but his effort went across the face of goal.

The game began to calm down (slightly), but Ryan Douglas cleared 2 efforts off the line as Alnwick were being pinned back in their own half.

With the counter-attack looking likely for Alnwick on many occasions, but the final ball proving a stumbling block, the game looked like it had been put the bed in the 90th minute. Jon Colley burst into the box, his cross was deflected back into his path to slot home for his 1st goal of the season. 6-3 and game over?

Not quite, in the 7th minute of stoppage time, Jake Wood smashed home another for Darlington to make it 6-4. The referee’s whistle blew on what was quite frankly a mad game of football. Value for money without a doubt for the fans.

Team: Glasper, Douglas, Hogg, Lowes, Macpherson, Gair, Robson, Brown, Schiavetta, Miller, Baker
Subs: Colley (for Hogg), Dixon (for Robson), Jackson (for Miller).
Unused Subs: Brooks C, Murray

Match Sponsor: The Cryer
Ball Sponsor: CBS World

Thank you to the fans for your support this season, and also to the club sponsors who help to keep the club competing in the Northern League. There are still games to be played at St James’ Park for the Reserve side, and also North Northumberland Cup Finals. Please come along to show your support to some local sides as the season comes to an end.