Goals Galore at St James' Park in TEN Goal Thriller

August 10, 2016
Goals Galore at St James' Park in TEN Goal Thriller

Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher look away now. It was a night for the strikers on Tuesday night at St James’ Park which saw 10 goals on a night when the new floodlights got their first outing.

Durham City took an early lead after just 4 minutes, with Kyle Patton flicking a corner into the roof of the net. (0-1)

The home side though were back on level terms immediately after the restart. A flowing move down the right saw Liam Brooks cross in for Brent Aisbitt to head home his first goal for the club since moving from Newbiggin. 5 minutes in and the tone was set for the remainder of the game. (1-1)

A couple of chances came and went for both sides, Josh Hay going closest with a shot on the volley that went inches over, bringing applause from around the ground as Alnwick were playing some excellent football.

The home side went ahead in the 25th minute, with Liam Brooks slotting past the keeper to put Alnwick 2-1 ahead. McClelland almost made it three but his header under pressure went over.

By the half hour mark Durham were level. The ball somehow made it’s way across the box and David Luke bundled the ball in, the linesman judging the ball to have crossed the line. (2-2)

Durham then regained their lead in the 36th minute. Brad McClelland, who put in a shift on the right-wing, tracked back but brought down the Durham winger just inside the area. The penalty was converted by Samuel Norris to make it 2-3.

Alnwick thought they were level when Josh hay held off the defender and smashed the ball home, but the referee judged that he had fouled the defender.

On the 45th minute as half time loomed, Durham extended their lead, Samuel Norris tapped in making it 2-4. But the half wasn’t over, and into the 5th minute of stoppage time a Tony Brown freekick looped over everyone into the top corner to make it 3-4 at half time.

As the rain began to fall the pace of the game remained frantic, and it was Durham that once again extended their lead, David Luke getting his 2nd of the game slotting past the keeper McMahon. (3-5)

Game over? Not a chance with this Alnwick side who clearly have goals in them. Jake Morrison was brought on to replace Liam Brooks as a like for like swap on 66 minutes.

70 minutes in and Alnwick got back into the game again. Josh Hay was brought down in the box, penalty to the home side. Despite the best effort of the keeper to put off Tony Brown by kicking the ball away and damaging the penalty spot, Tony sent him the wrong way (4-5).

With the game inside the last 10 minutes, Schiavetta replaced McClelland, and Alnwick were pushing for an equaliser, which they deservedly got in the 85th minute. The ball was drilled across the box, and debutant Jake Morrison was there at the far post to bring Alnwick level at 5-5.

The home side thought they had won it late on, but Schiavetta was penalised for a foul on the keeper before tapping in. A lengthy delay then followed to allow treatment to the keeper.

As the rain poured down, referee Kevin McKitterick brought the game to an end. A cracking advert for non-league football. Alnwick played some brilliant one touch football at times in the game, and will undoubtedly cause teams problems with their goalscoring threat.

Team: McMahon D, Douglas R, Baker R (Riddell D), Lowes D, Macpherson T, Gair R, McClelland B (Schiavetta D), Brown T, Hay J, Brooks L (Morrison J), Aisbitt B.
Unused Subs: Hodgson R, Giles J

Match Sponsor: Air Supply North East
Ball Sponsor: Sporting St Croix FC Academy

Hotspur 1364 MOM: Brent Aisbitt