What A Difference A Week Makes!

September 24, 2016

3 points and a clean sheet. Yes this is Alnwick Town's match report you are reading! After conceding 16 goals in their previous 2 games, Alnwick held firm against Northumbrian rivals Bedlington Terriers to bring back 3 points up the A1.

A number of changes were made again to the starting eleven, foreign trips and injuries paved the way for starting places for Danny Lowes, Lee Dundas, James Jackson and Dom Schiavetta.

Alnwick came up against a Bedlington side fielding 2 former players in goalkeeper Dan Mullen, and centre-back Kieran Egen.

Both players would have a busy first half, with Alnwick dominating play and creating the better chances. Liam Brooks and Tony Brown both had chances go narrowly wide within the first 10 minutes, and it would take Bedlington 15 minutes to regsiter their first effort on target, a free kick well held by McMahon.

Schiavetta headed wide from Brooks' cross in the 26th minute, and then Jackson had a great chance shortly after, but his effort was saved by the feed of Mullen.

As the half appeared to be slipping away from Alnwick despite numerous chances, the deadlock was finally broken just before the break. Matty Graham and Darren Riddell combined well down the right wing, with Riddell crossing for Brooks to head down into the bottom corner. Finally Alnwick's efforts paid off.

Two early second half subs saw Riddell and Graham replaced by Giles and Aisbitt.

Alnwick were still creating, with McMahon having little to do in goal for Alnwick. Efforts from Schiavetta and Brown were deflected wide and over, and Liam Brooks could have sealed it but fired over after good hassling by Jackson.

It looked as though those missed chances could come back to haunt Alnwick, and McMahon had to pull off a fine save to preserve Alnwick's lead. Bodies were being chucked on the line to keep this clean sheet, with the players desperate to make amends following the recent heavy defeats.

With time ticking, the injured Jackson was replaced by young Jake Morrison. Brooks and Morrison combined, and Brooks' effort was saved through the legs of Mullen. The Bedlington goal led a charmed life, but it wouldn't hold on.

In the 90th minutes, Alnwick scored a cracker. Lee Dundas chased a lost ball, winning the tackle and playing inside to Tony Brown, who dinked the ball forward for substitute Brent Aisbitt to lob Mullen in the Bedlington goal to give the away side a 2 goal lead.

The win was then sealed in style by Jake Morrison, who stuck low and hard into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

A thoroughly deserved win for the away side in front of the travelling fans in the main stand. It could and probably should have been more, but it is 3 points and a clean sheet that Alnwick will gladly take.

Team: McMahon, Riddell (Giles), Dundas, Lowes D, Macpherson, Gair, Graham M (Aisbitt), Brown, Brooks, Jackson (Morrison), Schiavetta.
Unused Subs: Lowes J, Straughan R