Alnwick Town 0-2 Crook Town 28 02 2017

March 1, 2017

Crook Town stole the points on Tuesday night, leaving the home side still searching for their first win of 2017.

Debuts were handed to Logan Powell and Ian Lee up front, with Jay Hornsby also starting from the bench. The home side lost Ross Gair just prior to kick off, allowing Joe Henderson to start in the centre of midfield.

Alnwick started the game positively, and were creating all of the chances with a new 4-3-3 system. Ian Lee came close to opening his account for the club, but his header was well saved by Watson in the 11th minute.

10 minutes later Alnwick created their best openings, but couldn't break through the Crook goal through luck / effort. Tony Brown has a long range effort well saved, and from the resulting corner a bit of pinball in the box fell to Jonny Wilson, and his effort was somehow blocked on the line.

Alnwick continued to press, creating the better chances and having almost all of the ball, limiting Crook to the rare counter attack.

It was one of those counter attacks that would make Alnwick pay though, and Daniel Pigg capitalised on defensive errors to put the away side 1-0 up with their first chance in the 35th minute.

More openings came and went, Ian Lee again going close, this time having an effort cleared in another goalmouth scramble.

Half time came, and at 1-0 down Alnwick could find themselves very unlucky to be behind. But as the players walked off towards the changing rooms, the game swung massively in Crook's favour. Unseen by most spectators who were already in the clubhouse, the referee produced a red card for debutant Ian Lee, for what the referee described afterwards as violent conduct. Home management and officials who saw the incident strongly dispute this, after Lee was accused of kicking out at the Crook manager Wilf Constantine following a disagreement walking off the pitch.

2nd half, and Alnwick resume with 10 men. Despite having a man advantage, Crook appeared happy enough to sit back and try to hit Alnwick on the counter attack. Alnwick still saw plenty of the ball, but couldn't find the final ball in and around the box.

Crook would double their lead in the 67th minute. Another defensive error allowed Christian Holliday to double the away side's lead.

Simpson, Jackson and Riddell came on as subs for Alnwick but were unable to break through, and Alnwick slipped to a 6th defeat in 7 game. A disappointing result, especially after such a promising first 45 minutes, and Alnwick looking much more likely to get something from the game in the 2nd half had the game not been turned on it's head at half time.

Team: Glasper L, Douglas R, Graham C (Jackson J), Lowes D, Straughan R, Wilson J, Henderson J (Riddell D), Brown T, Hay J, Lee I, Powell L (Simpson R)
Unused: Dundas L, Hornsby J

Match Sponsor: 472 Sumner Family

Next up - Easington Colliery (away), Saturday 4th March 2017, 3pm KO