Alnwick Town 0 v 0 Jarrow

August 30, 2017
Alnwick Town 0 v 0 Jarrow

It was a Bank Holiday stalemate as Alnwick Town and Jarrow settled for a point each on Monday afternoon.

Alnwick Town 0-0 Jarrow
    Attendance 121

Alnwick Town are now 5 unbeaten in the league following a 4th consecutive draw, this time at home to the league's newcomers Jarrow in a match sponsored by GB Groundworks.

Jarrow almost made an immediate impact upon the game, with Jonathan Hirst played through via a long diagonal ball. His lofted effort was tipped around the post by Ian Todd. From the resulting corner, Murray shot over and wide of the goal.

Only a few minutes later, the same corner routine brought a free header for Murray but it was sent wide of the post. Early warning signs for Alnwick.

Pressling almost gave Jarrow the lead, but he could only guide his effort over the bar, stretching to reach a cross into the box.

Alnwick finally had their first effort around the 15 minute mark. Danny Lowes' cross into the box was met on the volley by Stephen Young, but Frater was well positioned to keep the ball out.

Alnwick started to come into the game after a sluggish start, and Ryan Douglas fired an effort just over on the 30 minute mark.

Alnwick's best chance of the half came in the 35th minute. A quick counter attack saw Lewis Robson beat his man down the wing. His cross was perfect for the on-rushing Josh Hay, but his volley was into the side netting and behind. The best move of the half and unlucky not to be the first goal.

2nd half and the returning Tony Brown had Alnwick's first effort from distance over the bar. Jarrow were quickly down the other end, and produced a fine save out of Todd. The ball was played to Hirst inside the box, and his shot was well hit but Todd produced a reflex save to push the ball over the bar.

Alnwick brought on Lewis Coyle in place of Ryan Douglas to try and find a goal. Coyle would test keeper Frater, as would Stephen Young whose header was tipped over the bar.

Hirst again tried his luck against Todd but saw his effort go wide, and a scramble in the Alnwick penalty area resulted in a free kick to the home side.

The final 10 minutes Alnwick pushed for the winner. Lewis Robson saw a free kick go just wide, and Stephen Young had 2 good chances late on. One effort going wide of the post,the other a smart turn and shot was well saved by Frater, and was agonisly inches away from Hay who was waiting to tap in.

Lewis Coyle had a great chance 1 on 1 after beating a defender inside the box, but opted to pass to Young instead who was marked and couldn't finish.

So a 0-0 draw at St James' Park. Alnwick Town in 10th place on 10 points. Jarrow in 4th with 16 points. a good start to the season by both sides.

Team: Todd I, Laidlaw C, Lowes D, Macpherson T, Straughan R, Keenan A, Douglas R (Coyle L), Brown T, Young S, Hay J, Robson L
Unused: Jackson J, Riddell D, Purvis S, Dundas L

Match Sponsored by GB Groundworks
Hotspur 1364 Man of the Match: Lewis Robson
Header photo by Steve Miller
Article photos by Jonny Mason