Whickham 2 v 1 Alnwick Town

September 6, 2017

It was a 2nd defeat on the bounce for Alnwick, as Whickham’s clinical finishing proved the difference between the two sides.

Whickham 2-1 Alnwick Town
Wharton K (3)   Brown T (Pen 90+4)
Collins C (76)    
Jelley C (SO - 20)   Straughan R (SO - 22)
Attendance 91    

Whickham took the lead with the first attack of the game in the 3rd minute. Kyle Wharton guiding home a low cross into the bottom corner leaving Todd with no chance. (1-0).

For the next 18 minutes very little happened, until a clash in the middle of the park brought a red card for Whickham’s Craig Jelley. The tackle on Lewis Coyle sounded horrible, and he had no complaints as he walked off the pitch, but a few in the ground saw the red card as being harsh.

Alnwick’s numerical advantage would last only 2 minutes. A through ball provided Straughan with the chance of a last ditch tackle, cleanly taking the ball in the process. The referee had other ideas though, and after some deliberation with himself whether it was Straughan or Macpherson he should be sending off, Straughan was giving his marching orders. Bemusement on the touchline, and the referee’s assessor on the night will no doubt have been kept busy.

It took Alnwick until the 35th minute to register their first real effort on goal. Stephen Young aiming a show just wide of the post.

Just before half-time Alnwick should have been level. Good build up play down the right hand side allowed the chance for Coyle to shoot, but his effort was saved by the Whickham goalkeeper who tipped the effort around the post.

2nd half and Alnwick thought they had drawn level. In the 53rd minute Stephen Young fired the ball home, only to find the assistant’s flag raised for offside.

Whickham should have doubled their lead when a free header in the box went over the bar in the 67th minute.
Both sides were pressing as the game stretched with extra space on the pitch. Alnwick’s best chances coming from Riddell, whose cross came off the front of the bar, and a Tony Brown free kick which was comfortably saved.

In the 76th minute it was all but over. A mistake on the edge of the box allowed substitute Chad Collins the opportunity to put Whickham 2-0 up, and he slotted the ball into the bottom corner. (2-0)

As the game ticked away, Danny Donohoe came on as sub and brought with him some good pressuring and movement as Alnwick pushed forward to try and salvage the game. Donohoe’s run and cross was met by Young on the half volley, but his effort came back off the foot of the post. Alnwick’s luck just not on show.

Todd made a fine late double save to prevent a third goal, and before the final whistle was blown Alnwick were awarded a penalty for handball. Tony Brown converted despite the keeper getting a hand to it, making it 2-1 but too late for a another.

Team: Todd I, Riddell D (Robson L), Bright P, Macpherson T, Straughan R, Douglas R, Laidlaw C (Donohoe D), Brown T, Young S, Hay J, Coyle L
Unused: Brooks C, Lowes J