Alnwick Town 0 v 4 Durham City

January 14, 2018
Alnwick Town 0 v 4 Durham City

Alnwick slumped to defeat once again at St James’ Park on another grey afternoon at St James’ Park.

Alnwick Town 0 - 4 Durham City
    Smith C (14, 25, 42)
Attendance: 59   Hird B (61 pen)





It was a scrappy start to the game, but up until the visitors took the lead in the 14th minute, it had been an even game.

An attacking Alnwick free-kick was blocked by the wall, and as the away side pressed, a cross field ball was cut out by Callum Smith who ran on to take the ball around Glasper. (0-1)

The game turned on this goal as home heads dropped, and in the 25th minute it was 2-0. Smith Once again picked up the ball on the left, cut inside and fired in at the near post. (0-2).

Callum Smith's effort flew in at the near post.

Alnwick were forced into an early sub as Kristian Sands went off through injury, Danny Lowes replacing him.

Alnwick almost got back into the game in the 35th minute. A deep cross was deflected goalwards by a Durham defender, but was cleared off the line to preserve their 2 goal lead.

Rodgers should have sealed the game for the away side in the 38h minute, but his free header from a corner 6 yards out went over the bar, and a minute later Hird almost beat Glasper with a chip that went inches wide.

The third goal came in the 42nd minute, and Callum Smith completed his hat-trick. A shot by Hird was blocked and fell to winger Smith, who took a touch and fired in to make it 0-3 before half time.

Durham City's Callum Smith, who scored 3 goals on the day.

2nd half and Alnwick got their 1st shots of the game. Laidlaw’s shot was blocked on the edge of the box, and a couple of minutes later Riddell thought he had Alnwick back in the game, but his chipped effort was clawed away by Caris. As the ball came back into the box Josh Hay met a cross with his head, but crashed against the crossbar.

As the game began to stretch, Durham were awarded a penalty after the ref judged a foul by defender Straughan. Brad Hird send his effort just passed the hand of Glasper into the bottom corner (0-4).

Durham settled at 4, with no real efforts on goal in the final half an hour.

Alnwick's Danny Lowes breaks up a counter attack by the visitors.

Team: Glasper, Douglas, Fearns-Kennedy, Straughan, Sands (Lowes D), Westphal, Laidlaw (Robson), Brown (Threlfall), Hay, Riddell, Bright
Unused: Cravagan

Photos copyright of Johnny Mason ( @JVM53313942 )

Next up: Bedlington Terriers away on Tuesday 16th January 2018.