10 Man Alnwick Back To Winning Ways

August 23, 2018

Alnwick Town inflicted a first defeat of the season on Gateshead Rutherford AFC at St James' Park on Wednesday night, as the home side claimed 3 points despite being reduced to 10 men before half time.

Alnwick Town 3-1 Gateshead Rutherford
McClelland B (75m pen, 86m)   N Langston (90m)
Moore R (16m)    
Quinn J (SO)    

After a disappointing defeat at the weekend to Percy Main Amateurs, Alnwick Town were looking to put things right against an unbeaten Gateshead Rutherford at St James' Park.

Changes were made to the starting eleven, with goalkeeper Callum Brooks, Max Clark and Reece Ramsey absent, and captain Jake Lowes and Joe Pickard carrying knocks. In their places came goalkeeper Andrew Wilson from the Development Squad, whilst in defence Lee Dundas, Jamie Dixon and Kyle Burns (making debut) stepped in, and Joe Threlfall on the wing. There were places on the substitute bench for another 2 from the Development Squad, Paul Muers and Evan McEwan.

Both sides had early chances in the game, with both sides scoring, only to see the goals ruled out for offside. Alnwick's best opening fell to McClelland, who when through 1 on 1 with 10 minutes on the clock could only direct his effort straight at Mills in the away goal.

Alnwick got the opening goal in the 16th minute of the game. Jonny Colley sprayed a diagonal ball to Moore, who touched inside to McClelland. The forward held off the defender to play the ball back into Moore, who touched away from the defender and over the approaching keeper. (1-0).

The away side began to come into the game more and were looking comfortable with the ball. Chances in the 18th minute were headed over, and in the 23rd minute went just wide. Warning signs for the home side.

Then followed a quick flurry of cards for the home side, and not in a good way. Lee Dundas found himself in the notebook for apparent dissent towards the linesman, and then captain Jonathyn Quinn for the same offence towards the referee. 2 mintues later in the 35th minute, Quinn was given his marching orders for a trip on a Rutherford midfielder. A harsh 2nd yellow, but the referee wasted no time in showing his cards.

McClelland almost gave Alnwick a vital 2 goal lead before half time, but followign good work down the right and cross, his effort was deflected just over. Half Time and 1-0 to the home side.

2nd half, and with the away side having the numerical advantage going down the slope, it felt like it would be a long 45 minutes for the hosts,and they were almost back on level terms fro a corner, but the header was inches wide.

McClelland, who was playing as a lone striker in the 2nd half, was given another chance, and after beating 2 men he fired just over.

Fresh legs were brought on for the home side Adam Drummond and Paul Muers (making his debut for the 1st team) coming on for Colley and Threlfall.

The away side threatened, and it took a smart save from Wilson to deny them. The goalkeeper was in confident mood.

75th minute of the game, and Alnwick would be given the chance to go 2 nil ahead. Ross Moore would have a shot blocked, and in the scramble to follow McClelland was tripped as he attempted to shoot. Penalty to Alnwick, that McClelland converted, sending Mills the wrong way. (2-0)

Further saves from Wilson would deny the away side, and in the 86h minute Alnwick sealed the win in style. Muers was causing problems with his pace, and after picking up the ball he went past 3 players who tried in vain to bring him down. He played the ball through to McClelland who beat the offside trap. 1 on 1 with the fullback, McClelland took a touch inside, and fired into the top corner from outside the area to make it 3-0.

Further substitutions followed to break up the game, including the returning Schiavetta, and debut for Evan McEwan to shore things up in the middle of the park.

A clean sheet bonus for Wilson was denied though, as he was finally beaten in injury time by Niki Langston. The home defence waited for an offside flag that never arrived, and he drilled the ball into the bottom corner. (3-1).

Full Time and a big win for the home side, bouncing back from the weekend defeat. 3 wins from 4 games puts the club in a good position to start the season. Special praise for the 3 debutants from the Development squad Wilson, Muers and McEwan, who were give a tough test to Northern Alliance football with the team playing with 10 men for so long.

Team: Wilson A, Burns K, Dundas L, Quinn J, Dixon J, Balmbra B, Moore R (McEwan E), Colley J (Muers P), McClelland B (Schiavetta D), Maddison S (Muter C), Threlfall J (Drummond A)

The Hotspur 1364 Man of the Match: Andrew Wilson
Youtube Highlights: