Alnwick Come From Behind Against Wallington

September 6, 2018
Alnwick Come From Behind Against Wallington

Alnwick Town came back from 2 goals down at home to Wallington at St James' Park to secure a well deserved point.

Alnwick Town 2-2 Wallington
Quinn J (29m pen, 75m)   Angus M (7m, 27m)

Alnwick were back in action in the Northern Alliance on Wednesday night at St James' Park. As usual this season, more changes were made to the matchday squad, including returns to the starting 11 for Joe Pickard and Scott Maddison.

In what was a frantic start, the early warning signs were there for the home side, as former player Truscott fired over after 6 minutes.

The warning signs weren't dealt with though, and a long ball over the top was flicked through to Angus, who rounded Brooks to give Wallington an early lead. (0-1)

Alnwick's first effort came from winger Ross Moore, but his effort was saved comfortably down low by Carr. Moore would then turn provider from a free kick on 25 minutes, but Balmbra couldn't keep his header down.

The visitors increased their lead on 27 minutes. Angus was allowed time on the ball from around 25 yards out, and he curled an effort into the top corner, a cracking goal. (0-2)

The 2nd goal woke the home side up though. Down the other end from the kick off, Threlfall used quick feet to get away from a defender, who stuck out a leg and brought him down. Penalty Alnwick, which was converted by captain Jonathyn Quinn. (1-2)

Wallington had a great chance to restore their 2 goal lead, but Armstrong put a relatively easy chance wide of the goal from 6 yards out. A let off for Town.

Joshua Briggs would have the final effort of the half, but leaning back his effort was always heading over the bar. Half time 1-2.

2nd hald and early substitutions were made to try and get Alnwick back into the game with the introductions of Dundas and Muers.

Muers would cause problems for the defence, and saw an effort go over the bar, before Maddison hit a cracking effort, but was unlucky to see it come back off the crossbar in the 60th minute.

Alnwick got a deserved equaliser in the 75th minute, a scramble in the box eventually fell to Quinn who drilled in from around 12 yards out. (2-2)

Alnwick were the only team now looking likely to grab a winner, and Ross Moore almost got it. He was denied by a double save from Armstrong, before curling an effort inches over the bar from the edge of the box.

Alnwick then had 2 penalty appeals waved away. Pickard climbed at the back post to head back across goal, and a Wallington defender cleared off the line with what appeared to be a mixture of chest and arm, no penalty given.

In the final minute, a through ball into the box to Moore fell for Quinn, who went down under a challenge in the box. The referee again waved away the claims.

Full Time and 2-2. An entertaining game of football from both sides.

Alnwick: Brooks C, Milham H (Dundas D (Lowes J)), Pickard J, Clark M (Drummond A), Balmbra B, Burns K, Moore R, Briggs J, Maddison S (Donohoe D), Quinn J, Threlfall J (Muers P)

Hotspur 1364 Man of the Match - Kyle Burns

Photos by Steve Miller