Town Claim 3 Points At United

September 9, 2018

A cracker from Scott Maddison secured 3 points on the road for Alnwick Town, who had to work for the win away at FC United of Newcastle.

FC United of Newcastle 1-3 Alnwick Town
Collinson P (56m)   Quinn J (15m pen)
Rainey C (SO)   Donohoe D (67m)
    Maddison S (87m)

Alnwick travelled to Wallsend looking to get back to winning ways after 4 games without a win. Brad McClelland returned to the starting 11, and there was a place on the bench for Owen Johnson from the Development squad and U17's.

The early exchanges produced little, as both teams tried to adapt to the rain that was falling making the pitch very quick. Brad McClelland had Alnwick's opening effort blocked, while Brooks was alert to produce a fine save after 13 minutes.

15 minutes on the clock and the big decision in the game for the referee. A goalbound shot was handled on the line by Rainey, leaving the referee with no alternative than to send the United defender off. Penalty to Alnwick, which Jonathyn Quinn converted, his 2nd in as many games, sending the keeper the wrong way. It looked like it could be a long game for the home side (0-1).

If anything though, United came out stronger and Alnwick couldn't get going. Bainbridge had 2 chances for United down the left, toepoking wide on 18 minutes, and then producing another fine save from Brooks a minute later.

Alnwick came back, Briggs playing a through ball for Moore, but he sidefooted the ball just side.

Another talking point in the game followed shortly after. Moore was once again played through, and having lofted the ball over the keeper, when challenging for the ball the United defender got back and cleared off the line. In the process, Moore caught the defender, who collided with the post and suffered a leg injury. Despite complaints from the home side, Moore was only given a yellow card.

Although United were arguably playing the better football, Alnwick had the last 2 chances of the half. The first coming from a Moore cross that was whipped in, only for the defender to somehow head just over his own bar. Joe Threlfall had the final chance of the half, drilling just wide of the post. Half Time 0-1.

2nd half and it was the home side with the opening chances, forward Brown hitting over and produding another save from Brooks who was having a good game.

He could do little to prevent the equaliser though which had been coming and was deserved. Substitute Collinson heading home from a cross to get United back on level terms.

Donohoe was then brought on in place of McClelland who was just returning from injury, and the change brought Alnwick back ahead.

As Donohoe broke down the left, his attempted cross came back out to him near the byline. 2nd attempt, the ball was lofted in, and the goalkeeper was caught backpeddling. He could only spill the goalbound cross into his own net. (1-2)

The goal knocked the stuffing out of United a bit, who had made a good game of it despite playing the majority with 10 men.

The game was sealed in the 87th minute. Alnwick were catching United out on the break as the legs tired, and as the ball fell to Maddison near the edge of the box he let fly. Despite the best efforts of Allin in goal, he could only fingertip the shot onto the bar and in. (1-3).

Owen Johnson was then brought on for his debut on the wing, as Alnwick saw the game out to return to winning ways to move up to 7th in the league table. Despite their position at the bottom of the table FC United played some good football, and it could have been a different story had they finished the game with 11 men.

Alnwick: Brooks C, Drummond A, Clark M (Johnson O), Briggs J, Balmbra B, Pickard J, Moore R, Quinn J, McClelland B (Donohoe D), Maddison S, Threlfall J (Lowes J)
Unused: Slack T