Town Progress In Challenge Cup - Just!

September 15, 2018

Alnwick Town survived an almighty scare to progress in the Team Valley Carpets Challenge Cup on Saturday afternoon, holding on for a 4-3 victory at St James' Park.

Alnwick Town 4-3 FC United of Newcastle
Muers P (30, 54m)   Winter G (33m)
Maddison S (6m)   Brown A (84m)
Moore R (64m)   Bainbridge T (88m)

Kick off was delayed at St James' Park by 30 minutes due to the A1 being closed at Morpeth, which disrupted the visitors warm-up, with some arriving only minutes before kick off at 14:30. No complaints from the visitors though, a credit to them.

On what started as a warm sunny day at St James' Park, it took the home side only 6 minutes to open the scoring. Paul Muers played in Scott Maddison, who dispatched with his left foot to put Alnwick 1-0 ahead.

McEvoy almost brought the away side level, but his effort was well blocked by Kyle Burns in defence.

Paul Muers was causing all sorts of problems for the away defence. First of all a header from a Jake Lowes cross was saved by Maughan, and then a great chance on 29 minutes was fired over as the young striker leaned back whilst taking the shot.

30 minutes on the clock, and Muers made no mistake. A deep corner by Moore reached Muers at the backpost to head Alnwick into a 2-0 lead. The smallest lad on the pitch finding gaps in the box.

2-0 up and cruising, Alnwick let United back into the game only a couple of minutes later. The ball was given away on the edge of the box close to the byline, and Gary Winter stepped inside to drill an effort at the near post, no chance for Brooks (2-1).

Muers was to have Alnwick's final effort of the half, but again taking his chance he leaned back to see his effort go harmlessly over the bar. Half Time, 2-1 to the home side.

2nd half, and Muers was not to be denied his 2nd of the game. As the ball fell kindly at the edge of the area, Muers struck a right foot shot into the bottom corner, leaving the keeper rooted to his spot and Alnwick 3-1 ahead.

Connor Graham fired just wide for the visitors as they tried to find a way back into the game, and in the 64th minute it should have been all but game over. Substitute Daniel Donohoe skipped through in the box, taking a left foot shot at the keeper that was parried into the path of Ross Moore who has the simplest of finishes. 4-1 to the home side.

As Brooks saved well from McEvoy in the 75th minute, Alnwick were comfortable. With 6 minutes to go though, Anthony Brown was allowed time and space to smash home a consolation for the visitors. (4-2).

Joshua Briggs almost put the game to bed a minute later, but his effort couldn't secure the victory for the home side.

As the seconds ticked away, 2 minutes to play and the visitors were right back in it. Thomas Bainbridge swiping home a 3rd for the visitors who were in a hurry to try and force extra time.

And they thought they had it. As stoppage time time drew to a close, a through ball found the United forward who drilled home. Pitch invasion from the technical area and despair from the home side. Luckily for the home side, the assistant referee had already flagged for offside, and the goal was ruled out. Alnwick would hold on and avoid extra time. 4-3 the final score.

Team: Brooks C, Drummond A, Lowes J (Cravagan L), Briggs J, Balmbra B, Burns K, Moore R, Quinn J, Maddison S (Donohoe D), Muers P (Henderson J), Threlfall J
Unused: Slack T

Hotspur 1364 Man of the Match: Paul Muers