Back To Winning Ways - Just!

November 11, 2018
Back To Winning Ways - Just!

It was almost 2 months since Alnwick Town's last win in the league, and it looked as though that run was going to be extended until Ross Moore fired home with the last kick of the game to give the home side a 4-3 victory against rivals Shankhouse.

Alnwick Town 4-3 Shankhouse
Colley J (11m, 51m)   Carr K (53m, 57m)
Quinn J (64m)   Marshall C (87m)
Moore R (90m+)    

The sides met little over a month ago, with Shankhouse recording a 2-0 victory where Alnwick somehow failed to score in a 2nd half onslaught, so revenge was definitely on the cards at St James' Park.

There was changes again to the starting 11, a common theme this season. Notable absences included captain Jake Lowes, who is rested to allow recovery from an ongoing injury, along with Harry Milham and Paul Muers who started for the Development Squad at Bedlington A.

The first half produced plenty of chances for both sides, and it was Alnwick who took the lead in the 11th minute. Simple football from the home side. A through ball to Cameron Cunningham who got away from the defender to cross for Jonny Colley to hit home from close range. (1-0)

Chances fell to Brad McClelland who was unlucky to see a left foot curler go just wide of the far post, and Joe Threlfall would fire straight at keeper Joyce.

It wasn't all one way though, and Alnwick had Callum Brooks to thank for going into the break 1-0 ahead, denying Shankhouse a number of chances with good saves, and claiming well from set pieces.

2nd half and the madness began.

51 minutes on the clock and Alnwick doubled their lead through the same combination as the first. Cunningham finding Jonny Colley in the box to fire home again. 2-0, and a league win looking likely.

Shankhouse had other ideas though. 6 minutes of madness and they were level. Kevin Carr would pull Shankhouse back to 2-1 in the 53rd minute, and then in the 57th minute the away side were awarded a penalty following a challenge by Brendan Balmbra. Keeper Brooks brilliantly saved the resulting penalty, but Carr was first to react to level for the away side.

The momentum appeared to be with the visitors, but a moment of magic from Jonathyn Quinn would once again restore the lead for the home side. From around 25 yards out, Quinn tried his luck, and his effort flew into the back of the net just inside the post. What a goal. (3-2)

The game settled, and it looked as though Alnwick would see the game out, but the visitors had other ideas in the 87th minute. Failing to clear the ball in the box, it fell to Chris Marshall to give Brooks no chance and level the score at 3-3. The search for a league win appeared set to continue.

The home side were not in the fettle to give up though, and continued to push forward, and deep into stoppage time there got their reward.

A free kick was cleared, and sent back into the box, falling to Ross Moore around 15 yards out. He turned and shot, appearing to get a deflection along the way and into the net. Scenes on the pitch as the players piled on top of Moore in the corner. The relief of all in the ground from the home side clear to see. Town had the league win they needed.

There was only time for the ball to get back to the kick off, where referee Durrant blew full time. Relief for the home side, agony for the visitors.

Team: Brooks C, Muter C, Dundas L, Quinn J, Henderson J, Balmbra B, Moore R, Cunningham C, McClelland B (Midgely L), Colley J, Threlfall J (Schiavetta D)
Unusd: Maddison S, Burns K, Yeadon P

The Hotspur 1364 Man of the Match - Callum Brooks

Cover photo and header by Jason Sumner.
Action shots by Adrian Mason. Full Album - Here